Every bald guy always asks me what the best razors for shaving your head are. And today I will tell you my personal top 5!
If you are a bald guy like myself, then the one grooming product you simply cannot live without is a good razor for keeping your dome smooth!
Using clippers is the second best option to give yourself that buzz cut or as close to a head shave as possible, but nothing can ever replace the feeling of shaving your head with a razor blade.
Most of you know what I am talking about!
I am at the stage where I shave my head 2-3 times per week. And I genuinely look forward to those 5-10 minutes where I get to apply the razor to my scalp and clean off the excess hair that has grown for the last 48 or so.
Using a Razor To Shave Your Head Is The Best
If you have read this far, then I am assuming you either have taken the plunge to shave your head with a razor or you are almost there and just need a little bit more encouragemen!
Most guys who are slowly balding start out by shaving their heads with a set of clippers, and then move onto the slick, razor blade shave.
In the beginning, there is a small learning curve and with a few head shaving tips and tricks, you can greatly reduce the time spent on shaving your head to less than 20 minutes a week.
Anyway, long story short, shaving your head with a razor is just awesome and if you are in the balding phase, I recommend you grab the razor as soon as possible!
But shaving your head requires a good quality razor.
Now every guy has his very own opinion on what makes a razor good quality.
There are so many various types of razor blades to choose from, that it can start driving you crazy to try and find the actual best one out there.
For me, I actually just keep it simple and stick to the same few razors which I have come to know very well.
A well reputed, good razor blade brand can make all the difference between a smooth, clean shave and a horrid experience. It can also prevent you from getting terrible razor burns and bumps on your head.
Having a good razor also really just makes your shaved head look better.
I am going to review the best razors for shaving your head below that I have used myself.
Investing in a quality razor is a good idea.
Don’t go cheap, invest in quality and you will be strolling around with a beautifully groomed bald head!
Best Razors For Shaving Your Head: Our Best 5
- 7 Best Shaving Cream For Your Bald Head
- 7 Best Beard Trimmers For Bald Men That Are Under $70
- Best Moisturizer For Bald Head? Our Top 10 Picks
Finding a good quality razor takes a little shopping around.
You need to test and find out what works best on your head.
We all have differently shaped heads, and what works best for me won’t necessarily work best for you.
I have identified 5 of the best razors for shaving your head below that I think ticks most of the boxes when it comes to a reliable head shave.
As always, feel free to let us know of any razors which you use every week and which might add value to this list!
Let’s get to it then.
Gillette Men’s Razors
Founded in 1901, Gillette has been around the block and keeps on producing quality head shaving razors.
They are a reliable, go to brand that has stood the test of time when it comes to shaving in general.
Their variety of razor blades and shaving creams makes them a firm favorite amongst many bald men.
Now I know they are probably the biggest player in the game, and thus they do over charge for a lot of their products. But I still find that some of their razors just work perfectly well for my head.
Gillette Mach3 Turbo Men’s Razor
- Engineered to last at least 15 comfortable shaves
- Sharp cutting blades
- Stronger than steel blades, staying stronger and sharper for longer
- Price is very cheap compared to other brands
- Handles well. I enjoy the grip of the handle and the cartridge swivel!
- Many users have complained of cartridges breaking
Gillette Mach3 Men’s Razor
- Priced the cheapest of all the Gillette Mach3 razor blades
- Comes with 2 blade refills
- Each blade should last at least 15 comfortable shaves
- Advanced skin guard helps stretch your skin and prepares your hair to be cut
- Blades can fall off very easy
- Only has 3 blades per razor so shaving takes longer
Currently this one is in my bathroom and being used by me every second day. No complaints from my side!
Gillette Fusion5 Men’s Razor
- You get 4 razor blade refills
- Ergonomic handle is designed for better control in wet shaving conditions
- 5 anti-fraction blades provide a shave that’s really clean and close
- Most expensive Gillette razor if you compare to the Mach3 and Mach3 Turbo mentioned earlier
A few months ago I decided to purchase this razor and give it a try. It definitely does its job, but I think the cheaper Gillette razors are just as good!
Mercur Long Handle Safety Razor
Mercur is a lightweight, long-handled safety razor that features a straight-cut, closed comb head that fits all standard double-edge razor blades.
Its made by a German company, so it comes with that efficient German engineering! On top of that, it looks and feels extremely classy and is made with top quality materials.
This razor is really good for face shaving too.
Nowadays every guy uses cartridges, but if you want to go old-school, then grab yourself a safety razor!
- The closest shave without multi-blade skin irritation
- Uses inexpensive double edge blades
- Durable and precise
- Singe blade razors tend to lead to no razor bumps or razor burns
- Can be seen as a bit pricey
- Many users complained of its quality of the handle with many broken handles being experienced
- Easier to cut yourself than a cartridge razor
Harry’s Men’s Razor
Harry’s was founded in 2012 and has quickly become a household name in the USA. They are known for their subscription model, whereby you can get your blades mailed to you every month.
They have grown substantially and are now valued at over $1 billion, and have taken the grooming industry by storm.
Personally, they are my least favorite of the 5 on this list, but many of our users still love them!
- Sharp and durable 5-blade razor cartridges
- Rubber handle for extra grip
- Comes with a travel razor blade cover
- Lubricating strips for a smooth shave
- Subscription model where razor blades get mailed to your house every month, taking away the worry of not having new, clean blades to shave your head
- Many users complained of early blade rust
- Priced at the high end of the razor spectrum
- Not the best quality compared to other brands
These razors have served us very well so far, and they can pretty much be purchased anywhere.
If you are looking for a subscription model, then try out Harry’s. (I think it only works well for US citizens)
The last bit of advice I have is that you need to test a few razors and find out what works best for you.
Everyone has a different preference and a different scalp, so use what works for you!